Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 21/09/14 18:01, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Adrian
scribeth thus
On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 15:00:38 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

But you cant allow for people who have made a pigs ear of their word
docs in the first place.

Well these were one's from academic establishments and I rather doubt
they'd sod them up

wipes tear of laughter
That makes it more likely, not less.

Well these were from more than the one establishment, and some of them
were from people in IT and software..

Its endemic. There is only one class of people who truly understand
typesetting, and that is the print industry. Not even the people who
should - the typesetters themselves - understand the software they use,
and I should know because that was my wife's job - professional Quark
jockey, and the stories she has to tell about receiving work from
colleagues ('just needs a few corrections') that kept her up all night
reformatting and putting in proper style sheets to get a uniform result..

..then tehre was the printer himself who bull****ted us that 'getting a
matte print was only a matter of the paper' before we discovered that in
fact it isn't. It's a matter of using offset litho and not a laser
printer which will always gloss up a paper that is suitable for it..#

(Laser printers fuse powder on TOP of the paper. Offset litho puts real
ink INTO the paper.)

The level of incompetence and basic inability to actually do stuff right
is alarmingly high these days.

;!..

I don't think anyone I know actually understand what any given thing in
a word processor actually does any more.

Yeabut the original point was that she was sent word.doc's and docx from
a lot of institutions and with OO and LO there always were problems with
the Kingston "Office" these disappeared.

So either there are compatibility problems or are they all wrong;!?..

--
Tony Sayer