Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default [OT} Electricity usage

News wrote:
A bit OT, but our electricity usage has always seemed incredibly high
to me. Not how much we pay, but the actual units used. Looking
back, the last time I read the meter was 26.09.13, which is almost
exactly a year ago. Reading it today, I find we have used 9128 units
over a year.
No electric heating. No tumble dryer. Just the usual washing
machine, dishwasher, two fridges/freezers, two desktops, two laptops,
kettle, lighting etc. An I naive, or is that a lot of units?

Well an average household uses around 4,400 so your figure is high by
that yardstick *but* as ever so much depends on circumsatnces - how many
people in the household and lifestyle (and hence how often w/m and d/w
are run); how PCs etc are used; whether lighting is low energy; and so
on. Eg our electricity usage is dominated by 2 PCs (plus modem, router
et al) on for 12+ hours a day on average, and hence flat throughout the
year. (The increase in lighting, supplementary heating etc in the
winter is balanced by the decrease in usage by (old) fridge and
freezer.)

There are ready reckoners you could look at with your actual usage of
w/m, d/w etc etc to get a better handle. But let's start with the
simple:

a. how many people in the house?
b. do your *bills* show you using around 9,000 kWh a year?

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid