Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default devices of unecessary complexity

jon_banquer wrote:
On Sunday, September 21, 2014 8:48:26 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 00:32:43 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

wrote:

I deviced to take apart an orignal Nikon F 35mm camera today, to see

what's inside.

About 5000 parts is the answer, for a completely mechanical 35mm camera.

WHY???!!! did you smash a Nikon F body???

They are still worth in excess of $200 each and for us

collectors..they are freaking priceless!!!

It had no pentaprism, so it's not actually worth anything. I still have

one left that is complete.

while I'm typically no fan of destroying stuff like this, it is the only

option when no service manuals are available, and you can't hire and old

guy to let you watch a repair.

The question still stands. When do companies design stuff to be overly

complex. What's the real end goal?

To sell replacement parts, to make sure very few people besides OEM can properly repair.

I did notice that to get to the self timer, you're supposed to peel off
and throw away the fake leather skin, because of course there's screws
under there. That reminds me of screws under lables and bezels you can't
replace in new equipment.

Oh, and to clean the escapement, you need to do the same thing and
basically take the ENTIRE thing apart. Even if the parts were free, the
amount of labor required is just senseless.

I also destroy-explored a Sears branded Mamiya 35mm camera to figure out
how to get to the escapement. Those jackasses really love their random
English threaded parts for no reason. This was a mid to late 1970s
product.

The part count in the Mamiya seemed way lower than the Nikon F, plus it's
a more advanced camera to start with. There was a chain driven mechanism
to transfer "information" from one side of the camera body to the other. I
guess they get points for something that crazy to make it all work.

Canon FD lenses are an incomprehensible mess of parts. Never been able to
get one of those back together again, ever.

Personally, I find things like padlocks and those throw away type pliers
made of stamped sheet metal brilliant. They're effective and just can't
get any more simple.

I'm actually sort of surpised Knipex adjustable pliers don't have 450
parts like cams, roller bearings, timing wheels, adjustable guides, set
screws holding locking pins and other weird rube goldberg type stuff in
true German spirit.