Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Cost to install a new gas dryer (old one broke)

Melissa wrote:
replying to mikeclancy, Melissa wrote:
mikeclancy wrote:

Hi,
My wife had a plumber come out to hook up a new gas dryer. We have an
old one that broke, so all the lines are in place, it is just a matter
of disconnecting the old one and connnecting the new. No extras, like
hauling away the old dryer. The cost blew me away:
Disconnect dryer: $164.24
Install gas dryer: $282.25
Total: $446.49
This seems absoutely insane to me. I would've done it myself, but
unlike water or electricity, gas scares me. Is this anywhere close to
reasonable, or should I make a stink?
We live in suburban Washington DC, Bethesda MD to be exact, if locality
matters for this sort of thing.
Thanks,
Mike.

Hi Mike,

I am from Silver Spring, MD. I just bought a washer dryer from Sears.
Sears puts out a bid to independent contractors for the install.
Well, yesterday the dryer finally came after a month of waiting. The
contractor demanded an extra $120 for the gas valve install. He refused
to do any further work until a check was written.
This is in addition to the install cost we already paid to Sears. This is
a total ripoff. I called Sears prior to buying the dryer what the
additional
cost of putting in a gas dryer vs electric and Sears said $90. You might
get a good price on a washer and dryer from Sears, but beware of the
contractors. I ended up paying twice for the install: once from Sears
and then from the contractors. Contractors get paid from Sears, but
apparently not enough, so they have to stick it to the customers. Beware
of Quality Kitchens and Appliances.

Hi,
Is it illegal doing it yourself?