Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] andymhancock@gmail.com is offline

Default Highrises have fires, how safe to exercise in stairwells?

On Sunday, September 21, 2014 4:08:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
How much could it cost to have Serv Pro come and clean the firewells?

Automatic pressurization of them during an alarm is becoming common, particularly in taller office buildings.

This is a 20 storey residential highrise, built in the early 80's. There are no vents at all.

About how much it would cost to clean -- not sure, but it's 2 stairwells, each spanning 20 stories. I don't see the management doing this because it typically takes a lot of effort to push for much more obvious duty obligations. My current course of action is simply to get the opinion of those with experience in smoke damage. That is, the opinion of what one can typically expect in terms of likely contamination at a level that can be problematic. In seeking this opinion, I assume that apartment highrises are likely to have had fires simply because of the concentration of dwellings using a common stairwell. In effect, I am assuming that this is a common scenario, hence any such opinion would be well grounded in reality, i.e., I am hopefully not asking for opinions on an obscure situation.