Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

On 21/09/14 08:43, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

On 20/09/14 08:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to
do
this from previous moves.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

why not be adventurous, and install linux mint, and then see if
turnpike will run under WINE?

I thought he said he wasn't a geek .... ;-)

I did and I'm not!

Somebody once tried to teach me Elliot Algol back when things were done
with punched tape. I managed a few things on the kids Spectrum and BBC B
which included cheating on Colossal Adventure by looking through the
software. Very little progress since then.

I don't go fiddling with the oil pump on my motor car and don't expect
to have to do it on a computer.

Precisely.

Which is why you should abandon windows..

I wouldn't dispute that Linux has its uses, but to be fair, it does have a
bit of a reputation as being an 'enthusiasts' operating system, which is how
it came into being in the first place, really. To some extent, I think that
for what it is, Windows gets a bit of a 'bad press' in discussions like
this. For most people doing just fairly ordinary things on their computer,
Windows, left to its own devices (no pun intended !) is just fine. It pretty
much does what it says on the tin, and in a way that Joe Average User can
get along with. Yes, for sure, it can be a pain when things go wrong, and
sometimes, it doesn't do "computer-y" things very well, but then that's
where things like Linux come into their own.

For me, the odd Windows problem, and coping with its foibles in some areas,
is far outweighed by it's ability to load and run pretty much anything
written in the world of 'commercial' software, and for most average computer
users, I would suspect that this is the case. Were it not for Windows, in
all its iterations throughout the years, I don't think that 'home' computing
would have come anything like as far as it has.

Arfa

Arfa

--
Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for the rare
story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. €“ Erwin Knoll