Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

I don't go fiddling with the oil pump on my motor car and don't expect
to have to do it on a computer.

Precisely.

Which is why you should abandon windows..

Umm.. I was the chap left sitting on the edge of the swimming pool while
everyone else was having fun!

Well it's up to you..

Message so far:-

Transferring my existing stuff to a later version of Windows is
not likely to be easy.

Its not that bad!.

Free office software is readily available (Kingsoft) for word
processing. My existing data files may not be accessible if transferred?

More or less..

Where I have original installation discs and the software version is
compatible, I will be able to load and use. (Quickbooks, Photoshop
7etc.)

Yep if their WIN 7 compatible..

A re-furbed. computer will have a working browser and be licensed. It
may not last many more years.

It well might..

Care should be exercised in assuming E-Bay descriptions are accurate.

..

Windows 32 bit will limit addressable memory and constrain performance.
(gaming was never an ambition)

Not a real problem..

A tower sold for use in a noisy office environment may not be suitable
for home use.

In fact the ones I've got a very quiet indeed you'd hardly know their
running they have a fan speed control programme.

Available connections may not match printer and other peripherals.

Well USB and Ethernet are now a given but you may well not be able to
find a Parallel port but if your printers that old time for investment
in a new one!.

anything else?

The current m/c is ticking OK at the moment so I'll hold off rushing
ahead. Thanks to all who have sympathised and contributed.

Yes just do it. I upgraded to a new machine from WIN 2K Pro to WIN 7 and
it all just works and works well. Hardly any problems to report of

Yes been there and tried Linux and yep its OK but there were a few
oddities on it that I didn't particularity like but thats a personal
thing ..

--
Tony Sayer