Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

I don't go fiddling with the oil pump on my motor car and don't expect
to have to do it on a computer.

Precisely.

Which is why you should abandon windows..

Umm.. I was the chap left sitting on the edge of the swimming pool while
everyone else was having fun!

Message so far:-

Transferring my existing stuff to a later version of Windows is
not likely to be easy.

Free office software is readily available (Kingsoft) for word
processing. My existing data files may not be accessible if transferred?

Where I have original installation discs and the software version is
compatible, I will be able to load and use. (Quickbooks, Photoshop
7etc.)

A re-furbed. computer will have a working browser and be licensed. It
may not last many more years.

Care should be exercised in assuming E-Bay descriptions are accurate.

Windows 32 bit will limit addressable memory and constrain performance.
(gaming was never an ambition)

A tower sold for use in a noisy office environment may not be suitable
for home use.

Available connections may not match printer and other peripherals.

anything else?

The current m/c is ticking OK at the moment so I'll hold off rushing
ahead. Thanks to all who have sympathised and contributed.
--
Tim Lamb