william kossack

Default larger burls and chunks?

I spent two years of my life in south texas injecting herbicides into
chinese tallow trees first
as a volunteer then as the manager of a USFW funded restoration project.

Ken Moon wrote:

"william kossack" wrote in message

SNIP ........
The people that manage such land that I know are tickled at the sight of
a bowl made from russian olive.

The process usually goes like this....How can such a thing that they
spend so much of their time trying to
get rid of be made into such an attractive object? They had no idea.?
Then they tell me of the really
large russian olive trees they have taken down and sent to a trash
heap. Even people I work with
are astounded...they see the bowl then they tell me of the huge olive
tree in their yard they wish they
could get rid of.

Hi,
That's about the same situation we have here in Texas with the mesquites.
The ranchers consider them a big nuisance due to the thorns, and the fact
that the cattle and birds that feed on the seeds help to spread the growth
area by passage of the semi digested seeds. They regularly bulldoze large
areas and burn it, or just burn it as it stands.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX