Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Highrises have fires, how safe to exercise in stairwells?

On 9/20/2014 7:17 PM, wrote:
There was a fire in one of the units of my highrise

in the past year. One of the tenants said that that
there was so much smoke that it was hard to find his
way through the hallway to the stairwell. Obviously,
this means that smoke billowed into the stairwell when
the door was opened by those getting to the stairwell.
For a month or two afterward, there was an industrial
size HEPA filter on the floor on which the fire occurred.
I'm pretty sure there was no specific cleaning of the
hallway, but I could be wronga bout that. However, I
would be shocked if there was even the slightest thought
of cleaning the stairwell.

I use to climb the entire stairwell for exercise --

twice a day. This was after the fire. However, I've
been reading of the residue that can be left behind after
a fire. Is it unwise to use the stairwell for exercise?
This question is relevant to highrises in general because
with that many units, I'm sure that the probability of
fire having occured and pumped smoke into the stairwell
is quite high. Likely proportional to the age of the
building.

I'd make some calls local to you. Maybe someone already
tested the air for chemicals?

There "should" be some air exchanges, and it "should"
be a low risk.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus