Lyn J. Mangiameli

Default Stebcentre

Hi Ken,
I haven't ever formally written anything up on these, but I do have both
sizes and like them a lot. Other than for roughing out big stuff, when I
use a BWT Texas drive, these are what I almost always use for between
centers work.

The Steb Center is notable for two things, Rather than drive spurs, the
drive ends in a toothed/serrated ring with a center drive point. The
toothed ring is either 7/16 in or 13/16 inch if I am remembering
correctly (depending on size) and the center point is 3/16 inch hardened
steel rod. The center rod is spring loaded to normally extend out past
the level of the toothed ring.

The toothed ring is great because it cause no wedging/splitting forces
that can occur with traditional spurred drives. The spring loaded center
point is the real feature though, as it allows stable positioning with
adjustable drive force. You can essentially back off the tailstock ram
to allow the spindle to remain stationary in position between the live
center and this drive center pointed rod. Cranking in the tailstock ram
will compress the central rod and allow the spindle to become pressed up
against the toothed drive ring. How much ram pressure will determine how
much rotational resistance will be tolerated before the spindle will
begin to slip against the teeth. If you creat a lot of ram pressure,
then the ring is pretty much as effective as any comparably sized spur
drive, but back off pressure and you can count on your spindle remaining
located, but capable of easily slipping when a catch or skate occurs.
Dimply or drilling a shallow central hole in the drive end will further
increase the ability for the central point to remain in contact under
light pressure, though usually enough of a depression is made just by
tighening down the tailstock ram once.

Reportedly, production turners can remove and replace spindles without
ever having to stop the lathe, just loosening the tailstock, pressing
the spindle up against the center rod by hand, and then tightening down
the tailstock. I have tried this technique a few times and it does work,
but rarely am I in such a position that the time to stop the lathe might
be considered troublesome.

All in all a great drive center. I wish they made a headstock spindle
mount version (like the BWT's Texas drives), so I didn't have to mess
with removing my vacuum chucking adapter to deal with dismounting the
current version from the Morse taper. It offers good clearance, doesn't
split the wood and allows for controlled engagement. Just about
everything I could ask for in a drive center meant for spindle work.

Lyn

Ken Moon wrote:
John,
Steb centers have been available from Packard Woodworks and Craft Supply USA
for several years. All reports I have heard about them have been positive.
However, I have not used one myself, so this is not a 1st person
testimonial.

Lyn, have you done an evaluation on these?

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

"John Young" wrote in message

Are there any turners out there that use the above? Sorby have just
started making them and I am wondering if they are as good as they
sound?

John (UK)