Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorbell voltage

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:15:19 -0600, Tony Hwang

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:00:24 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Pico Rico wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message
roups.com...
replying to David Nebenzahl, Ken wrote:
nobody wrote:

Fred spake thus:
No, don't sweat it. The transformers are never exactly 24 volts, even if
that's what's stamped on them. Close enough is close enough. As they say,
it ain't rocket science.
Think about it: the doorbell solenoids are only energized for moments at
a time (unless some kid leans on your doorbell or something), so they'll
handle it just fine.

I just had the fire department out due to the door bell button sticking in
and the coils burning. I had 34 volts at the transformer.

24 vrms = 34 v p-p.

Hi,
Regardless of voltage, if there is dead short it'll smoke/burn as a
matter of time.

Most now, by code, are "impedence protected" meaning they will not
burn out (up) under overload.

Hi,
Also there ought to be a fuse.
Wondering what kinda meter is reading p-p voltage?

Never seen a doorbell with the secondary fused.. Shorting the
secondary won't blow the 15 amp fuse or breaker on the primary.

I'm sure it was not a p-p reading - it was just an open circuit
voltage on an impedence protected transformer. The resistance is high
enough to limit the maximum current, and to more or less regulate the
voltage to 24 with the design load applied.