Posted to alt.home.repair
Garagedoorguy Garagedoorguy is offline

Default Garage door spring broken in half - can a homeowner fix it himself?

replying to Shlomo Baumgard , Garagedoorguy wrote:
ShlomoB wrote:

Garage door spring broke in half. Torsion type.
On a bar across the door.
Do people usually replace them as a DIY.
Or is it something nobody does themselves?

Removing and adding tension are not the only dangerous parts to the
process. With larger much stronger high cycle springs it could be too
much and cause the door to shoot up like a rocket the second the second
the set screw is tightened after putting tension on the new spring. Always
clamp the door down befor added tension to be safe. I've replaces 1000's
and 1000's pairs of springs over the past 12 years in the garage door
business. If you run into anything you don't understand I can probably
explain it to you. How did you measure you wire diameter on the existing
spring to give to the guy calibrating the new springs?