Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Garage door spring broken in half - can a homeowner fix ithimself?

Oren wrote, on Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:42:12 -0700:

Which gives you more life cycles. Frankly, I've never had a torsion
spring break but it happens. Listen to Dan Musick, and take his
advice... The man is a professional. Did I mention the advice is free

I hope the OP ordered the springs with the cones attached.

I tried to remove the cones off the old springs, and concluded it wasn't
even close to worth the effort to buy a spring without the end cones.

If your springs have cones, and you have winding bars and a six-inch vise
grip, the job is easy to do (if your flag ends and center supports are
already secure).

Just follow *all* the advice in the DDM videos and you'll do just fine.