Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_] Yousuf Khan[_2_] is offline

Default Windows BMW dealer software cable for programming Bimmers

On 30/04/2014 3:53 PM, Calia wrote:
Just bought my first BMW, a 2002 525i with 130K miles on it,
so I downloaded the dealer software (INPA) for changing settings
such as the automatic locking at 5mph (which I want to turn OFF!).

Since I have a Windows 7 machine with USB (but not serial ports),
all I need now is the $20 cable to go from the 16-pin OBDII connector
near the driver, to the USB port on the Windows 7 laptop.

It seems most cables online are for the newer (D-Can) BMWs, and
because of that, they're more expensive ($50) than I need ($20).

But I just want the older cheaper BMW cable (with pin 7 & 8 as the K-Line).

Do any of you have an older (1997 to 2003) BMW that uses the
older K-Line cables?

Where did you get your cable?

An ODB-II cable is an industry standard across all car lines. You don't
need anything specific for BMW with those. However, ODB-II has limited
reprogram-ability options. It's mainly used for reading out sensor
readings from the car, rather than to reprogram its computer. In other
words, it's mostly a passive reader.

Yousuf Khan