Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 'Smoked' Salmond on toast

news wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

The big story is not yes or no, but how can the uk get this kind of
turnout
for council and ntional elections without making it illegal not to vote.

The answer of course is that people need to believe the issues are
important, and that any promises made will actually come to pass.

What is needed is to make every vote count

Not even possible with council and national elections.

(just as it did in this referendum).

It didn’t actually. 1*% percent didn’t bother to vote.

Round here the Tories have such a big majority its not worth getting off
your arse to vote anything else.

And nothing is going to change that in some electorates.

I suspect other parts of the country have the opposite problem.

True.

If the referendum had been counted on a council basis the NOs would still
have won (28 to 4) but my guess is that the turnout would have been a lot
less.

I doubt it.