Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
rickman rickman is offline

Default Punching "Nylon" Wall Plates

On 9/19/2014 1:58 AM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 19/09/14 14:45, rickman wrote:
On 9/18/2014 5:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

I don't get it. 3/4 inch should be a flat bit.

That won't work in thin plastic, especially if it's soft. Once it breaks
through at one point, it basically tears the rest apart.

That's called using finesse. That is why I suggested that it be drilled
from both sides. The flat part of the blade will never touch the
material. The edge blades will cut through the outer circle before that
happens. I've ended up with a small disk in my hand nearly every time
I've drilled through plywood with one of these.

Oh, and Nylon is seldom soft. It is a hard plastic and rather tough. I
guess that is why they can make fine stockings out of it.

--

Rick