Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default BBC post Scottish Independence

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"J.B.Treadstone" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:17:01 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 14/09/2014 22:04, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 14/09/2014 19:33, news wrote:
On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence
rebate?

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if
the Scotts leave the UK.

Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the
details doesn't even start until after the vote.

(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is
completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)

Actually 90% of the bluster and lies are from the SNP. God help them
if
the vote is yes when the reality strikes the electorate.

No, no-one should help them not even god.

I do wonder whether they will conclude that full independence is not
worth the cost and the effort when they start making plans.

Most of the fervent YES supporters seem convinced that total
independence
will mean a land of milk and honey and free beer (subject to a minimum
price of 45p per unit). Common sense has gone completely out of the
window.

If the fervent YES supporters seem convinced that total independence
will mean "a land of milk and honey and free beer", then here are some
things they should consider:

1] At the moment GB has 191 embassies & high commissions across the
world.
It would costs millions for an independent Scotland to try & establish
even a tenth of this representation. As they would no longer be part of
the UK, any Scot getting into trouble in a foreign land would have to
seek
help from their own embassy or HC.

It doesn't work like that with plenty of other similar sized countrys.

2] What about car licence plates?
Will Scottish vehicles have to be fitted with new licence plates?

Hardly any country leaving has bothered do it like that.

With 2.7 million cars on Scottish roads that is a lot
of licence plates to replace, & who would pay for it?.

Whatever they do, the same ones that pay for it now.

The vehicle owner, the Scottish government?

The vehicle owner is the only one that ever can ultimately.

And while we're at it, what about admin? Will
Scotland pay the DVLA in Swansea for that, or
create a hugely expensive new system of their own?

That stuff is up for grabs.

As an addition to this, some years ago when the question of Scottish
independence was raised, when asked how things were going to be paid
for, a Scottish spokesperson said by using revenue from their oil & gas.
When it was pointed out that the duty on vehicle road tax was far more
profitable than the revenue obtained from North Sea oil, he went quiet...

Irrelevant to whether its perfectly doable as Norway proves.

3]Treaties signed by the UK on behalf of Scotland, when it was part of
the
UK, will have to be completely renegotiated by a Scottish government.

It doesn't work like that. No one who has ever left has done it like that.

Didn't happen with the ex colonys when they got independence either.

That's also going to cost an independent Scottish government. When
Czechoslovakia split into the Czech Republic & Slovakia, it required 30
Treaties & some 2000 legal agreements to give effect to the separation.

And was clearly perfectly doable. Same when Singapore left Malaysia.

And Papua New Guinea left Australia.
Note what happened there.