Posted to alt.home.repair
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Raccoon

"GREEN-HOMES.com" wrote in message
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:59:43 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages. Comes in
through cat door; scarfs up cat food; messes his water dish. We blocked
up cat door; cat has to use window giving on dark yard; have it open
minimum, but anxious-making.

Found raccoon in kitchen at night. BIG! Rushed out OPEN back door,
brushing past my legs; no injury fortunately. So can't leave computer
room door open for air at night.

OP has volunteered to kill it w/blow to head, but he doesn't realize how
big and fierce they are. Also, first have to catch it!!

Point is: Why are RACCOONS -- biggest pest around -- "protected" !!!? I
asked

Animal Shelter for help -- send someone to trap him, or lend me a cage.
They said haven't done this for years. Gave me info about "protected"
status. I'M THE ONE WHO NEEDS PROTECTION!

Not ept enough to construct own cage, though have plans/descriptions. Cost
of materials - have to be VERY strong. Ever see the CLAWS on those
critters!

Choices: Rent a cage. Buy a cage. Put up with cat door problem. Other?

*******SPRAY SOMETHING ON STEPS THAT THEY ARE SAID TO AVOID. Anybody know
a product?******

OK, end sob story. Excuse venting.

HB

Funny, brings back memories of my encounter with raccoon. I made mistake of
rescuing a baby raccon after its Mother was road kill and the little baby
kept running into road to be next to dead Mother, pretty sad, so I let my
emotions get the most and saved it from death. Took it home, as an animal
lover, just wanted to give it a fair chance, so fed it until it was big
enough to go out on its own, but didn't. lol

Long story short, I couldn't get rid of him for they are always looking for
the easiest meal, and I was it. He would break into house, pulling screens
off windows and doors, amazing how cunning they are when it comes to getting
free food. I ended up taking him deep into the woods for he wouldn't leave,
actually would sleep up on my roof at night as safe as it was and easy not
to leave his food source.

So lesson learned, get rid of raccoon if you can, just buy a safe trap and
catch him, then take him to woods a couple miles away and your problem is
over. Easy to catch as they will eat just about anything, so bait your trap
with maple syrup which was my raccoons favorite snack. lol A more expensive
option is to get an electronic pet door which activates from reciever on
pets collar, works great and only opens for your pet. By the way, raccoons
stink to high heaven if they get into your home and start marking their
territory as food source, so if you notice a smell, try Green-Homes.com air
odor purifier, worked great in my home.

Success to all,

---

The Dept. of Fish and Wildlife told me that trapping and moving isn't the
answer. They will find their way back. We had to have our house raccoon
proofed. One snatched our two cats out the window and we never got one of
them back. Totally damaged the screen and even with the cats gone, still
tried to get in numerous times. That was a bad summer.