Posted to alt.home.repair
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Garage door opener help

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
In April or May we had a new garage door opener installed. Our garage
is tiny. Can't park a car in it so how it is called a garage, I do not
know. New unit is a Chamberlin and from what I can see on line, the
cheapest one. Came with one Clicker. Purchased two additional Clickers
and a keypad.

So for about three weeks, we had assorted problems, mainly because the
installer was, IMO a buffoon. But finally another guy came out to put
things right and everything seemed fine until two days ago.

Daughter rang the doorbell. I then asked her why she didn't come in
through the garage and her answer was that the keypad didn't work. And
it didn't. Keys lit up but nothing happened when we put in the code.

I did change the battery but wasn't sure of its age. Still didn't work.
Bought new battery and put it in. Still didn't work. Now this isn't
the code but I will use it for the sake of this problem. Let's say that
our code was 12345.

Installer snapped the battery in more firmly. Still didn't work. Asked
me if I had a phone. Obviously I did as he had called me on it. He had
a phone in his hand. But I went into the house to get the phone. Why?
Still don't know. He never asked to use it. But...

When I got back with the phone, he told me that he had reprogrammed the
unit. Not sure how since he had no ladder or step stool and I had only
been gone for less than a minute. Maybe 20 seconds. Then he said that
we needed to put in 123455. Say what? How could 12345 have worked all
this time? And we did not have to press the # either. Just the numbers,
although my instructions say to press the # button.

Oh and... While I was waiting for him to come, I tried to put in the
code. And repeatedly, as I put in 1 and 2, the door began to come down.
Came down one section, stopped and then went back up. It did this
several times. And then it did nothing when I tried to put in the code.

When I told my daughter of this she insisted that it can not be right.
She is the one who usually uses the keypad and she knows what number she
has put in. She has used 12345 for at least 4 months and it worked!

So then I went out to try it. Tried 123455 three times and nothing.
Then waited about 10 minutes and tried it again. It worked! And it
worked repeatedly.

I feel like I am in crazy land. How could this have been? I am waiting
for the installer to call me back and I will go out and keep trying it
to see what happens.

Hi,
Is the keypad on wireless? Usually they are programmed from KP and there
is procedure in the owner's manual. Isn't it on warranty? Call Chamberlain
customer support is one way to solve the problem. I am Genie screw drive
fan all my adult life. I install and take care of it
myself. Not only that I can replace springs, cable, what not on GDO.
And higher priced unit already includes extra clicker and KP, etc.
At the end there may not be enough difference in price. If they did not
give you owner's manual, I am sure it is available on-line and Youtube is
a firend in this case for visual tutorial. Ah, also make sure the antenna
wire is in place well.

It is wireless and they left me no owner's manual. I don't know if there is
a warranty on it. At the time it was installed I had just gotten out of the
hospital after nearly dying and I was in no condition to be dealing with any
of this.

We had a Genie prior and I assumed that would be what was put in. The guy
did check the antennae wire.

But my question would be... Why would the wrong pass code have worked for
all this time? This is what makes no sense. And why when I put in two
digits of it would it have started to close.

I did have to contact Chamberlain for something else. It was a royal PITA
to get to the right person.