Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] geraldrmiller@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Eat mo' squirrel

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:34:58 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:11:14 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:34:38 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

On 9/17/2014 3:50 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:49:43 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:56:17 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

I have trapped hundreds of squirrels using a Hav-a-hart squirrel trap.
Traps probably 8X8X24 and has two doors, although I lock the back one
closed.

I only have one, and it's one of the big ones intended for raccoons.
However, it works fine for squirrels, too.

This summer: One raccoon, two 'possums, two squirrels, and one cat.

Peanut butter on toast worked the best for me. Dump the trap in a garbage
can of water, occupant included, then clean for supper.

Aw, I couldn't do that. But I'd shoot 'em or club 'em.

Careful. The anti's take particular exception to clubbing even though you
can kill an animal with a club just as quickly as with a gun.

They're tougher to skin than a rabbit, but I can dress one out and
have him quartered in about three or four minutes.

How is cleaning the pelvic cavity? That always seems to be the toughest
part for me with a rabbit.

Hmm. I don't remember any particular problems with that. I dress them
before skinning, to keep any glorp off of the flesh.

Squirrel skin doesn't peel off as easily as it does with a rabbit.
I've read it's because squirrels don't have the layer of fat that
rabbits have, nut I never saw a layer of fact under the skin of a
rabbit, either. I can skin a rabbit with two hands but I usually make
a string noose for squirrelts, and tie it to my dressing board.

Skin from feet to head. Here in ET they have hangers for the feet and
pull the skin off.

I think the idea - almost no meat skins easier. Direction makes a
difference. Squirrel hunters here from a young age.

Somebody told me that once but I never got the hang of it. I've cased
a lot of muskrats, and I tried doing the squirrels the same way. But
working the skin over the hind legs just didn't work the same. I just
tore the skin.

I'll probably not try it again. We have to hunt squirrels with a
shotgun in NJ (except for a short mid-winter muzzleloading rifle
season). I hate shooting squirrels with a shotgun and I'm not going
out in mid-winter with a rifle just to shoot a couple of them.

Mom & Dad are gone now but I recall Dad saying Mom shot flying squirrels
while gliding down towards the garden.

Now *that* might make it worthwhile to shoot squirrels with a shotgun.

She and Dad often went to the arcade to shoot at bottles and such while
courting. Moved to N.C. during WWII making Ship Radar and we bought the
polo club house when they moved further out of town. Nice place.
Moved after the war - and after Dad returned from Europe to the west
coast Radar on B-36's.

Martin

Friend used to pop them out of trees with a .177 co2 pellet gun by
shooting the tree just under their belly. The flying bark took them
out.

Tried that with my .30 winchester with a red squirrel on a beech tree
but got too much bark. The squirrel went out about six feet then down
to the ground, did an outward spiral gaining about six inches radius
each turn till he got past the tree then went thataway at high speed.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada