Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drilling in concrete

Rebel1 wrote:
On 9/18/2014 10:26 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Rebel1 wrote:
I've had no experience with drilling into concrete. From what I
read, after drilling the pilot hole with a hammer drill, I should
install an insert. But this seems to be only if you want a threaded
screw protruding from the wall to hang things on, like a TV mount.

I'm going to anchor a toilet closet flange to a concrete slab, so I
don't need or want anything protruding from the floor. So after
drilling the pilot holes, do I just insert the screws/anchors into
the holes?
I'll be using the Push Tite closet flange shown he
http://www.siouxchief.com/products/d...closet-flanges

I originally thought the snugness of the fit would give a sturdy
installation, but the instructions say to always fasten it to the
floor. There are eight holes for accepting flat-headed screws, but
only four are needed (the two at the ends of the bolts slots, or the
two adjacent to the bolt notches).

Thanks,

R1

You want to use TapCon screws , and the appropriately sized masonry
drill bit . Available at any half-way decent hardware store .

That is the brand I have (bit and screws). But the question is do I
need an insert to fasten the flange to concrete?

No , the TapCon is designed to TAP it's own threads into CONcrete . You'll
need a pretty decent screw gun or impact driver .

--
Snag