Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eat mo' squirrel

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
On 9/18/2014 6:36 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote in message
On 9/18/2014 5:56 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
On 9/18/2014 4:41 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 15:50:49 -0500,
wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a
rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
Yep, right at 800 FPS at eight strokes.
That was unexpected!

Wow. I'll say.

I couldn't find the original data.
I guess I tossed it once the real work started.

Waiting for my bride to get home, I grabbed the chrono and set up to
try it again.

Ol' Daisy is a couple of years old now, and has been shot quite a
bit.

Best I could get today was 622 fps.
And the linearity of strokes to velocity wasn't there any more.
Starting at five strokes gave 522, 536, 596, and 622.

But the 800 fps number was for real - brand new...

Not saying it didn't happen. It would have been exceptional though.
The
fastest multi pump Daisy I could find listed at Pyramid Air is rated
at
750 with BBs. I never felt mine shot as fast as they claim, but if you
had a little oil in the chamber you might have gotten some dieseling.
Usually though if you get dieseling they fly out much faster than 800
and target poorly as they fly through the turbulence around the
speed of
sound.

Oil the chamber?

Didn't think of that!
Might give it a try and see if the speed comes back up some.

NO. Dieseling is very bad for your gun. If you do get detonation it
can severally damage the release valve.

You may need to clean and oil the pump, seal, and wiper. Usually just
a couple drops will last for a very very long time.

Use pellet gun oil. Its designed to not detonate if a little gets into
the gas reservoir and/or the chamber.

Didn't have any of that.
I have some CLP in a pin oiler, so I put (exactly!) 1/3 of a drop on
a couple of BBs as they went into the breach. (single shot, of course)

When I shot it I saw a puff of "smoke", and the shot didn't register
on the chrono. The next two rounds didn't register either(!)

But then it started showing numbers again.
Got it up to 657.
I think that's as high as the old girl is going to go now.

Dieseling is very bad for your gun. It will damage the dump valve.

You problem may be a week hammer spring is not dumping the dump valve fast
enough, but its more likely that your pump seal is dry and your gun is not
pumping efficiently.