Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eat mo' squirrel

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:49:43 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:56:17 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

I have trapped hundreds of squirrels using a Hav-a-hart squirrel trap.
Traps probably 8X8X24 and has two doors, although I lock the back one
closed.

I only have one, and it's one of the big ones intended for raccoons.
However, it works fine for squirrels, too.

This summer: One raccoon, two 'possums, two squirrels, and one cat.

Peanut butter on toast worked the best for me. Dump the trap in a
garbage
can of water, occupant included, then clean for supper.

Aw, I couldn't do that. But I'd shoot 'em or club 'em.

Careful. The anti's take particular exception to clubbing even though you
can kill an animal with a club just as quickly as with a gun.

They're tougher to skin than a rabbit, but I can dress one out and
have him quartered in about three or four minutes.

How is cleaning the pelvic cavity? That always seems to be the toughest
part for me with a rabbit.

Hmm. I don't remember any particular problems with that. I dress them
before skinning, to keep any glorp off of the flesh.

Squirrel skin doesn't peel off as easily as it does with a rabbit.
I've read it's because squirrels don't have the layer of fat that
rabbits have, nut I never saw a layer of fact under the skin of a
rabbit, either. I can skin a rabbit with two hands but I usually make
a string noose for squirrelts, and tie it to my dressing board.

I have a buddy who used to raise rabbits. For Thanksgiving he would bring
over a huge farm raised bunny, and they definitely had some fat on them. I
never dropped a wild cottontail that I saw noticeable fat on though. Used
to eat quite a lot of mesquite grilled cotton tail back in the late 80s and
early 90s when I ran traps.