Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John Larkin[_3_] John Larkin[_3_] is offline

Default Do you personally use a plastic solderless breadboard?

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:40:52 GMT, (Bob Masta)
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:49:01 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:52:42 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 03:00:04 -0400, rickman wrote:

On 9/17/2014 2:25 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair John Larkin wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 03:02:11 -0400, rickman wrote:

On 9/16/2014 1:58 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair Don Kuenz wrote:
Do you personally use a plastic solderless breadboard for your
prototypes?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=...ess+breadboard

If not, what do you use for your prototypes?

This:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...breadboard.jpg

It's a Dolby SR prototype of some sort.

Yeah, like I said, I always do PCB from the start. This one just has a
few more white wires than usual. Good thing he had all those
conveniently located vias. lol

Yeah, a real PCB could have been done faster than making that by hand.
And you could order 5 of them. If this was Dolby, the cost of a
quick-turn multilayer board would be trivial.

I'd cut them slack (and give some credit too) considering how old that
thing is. It's actually pretty cool. I had some 70s/early 80s
"Sega/Gremlin" arcade machine boards that all appeared to have been layed
out by hand with vinyl decals. Every single trace. boards and boards of
74xx series logic circling a z80 or something like that, all done by hand.
These were production boards, but somebody spend lots of time designing
those boards. Not sure what sort of board layout tools they had back then,
although they must have existed. Anybody know?

Yeah, PCB layout back then was supported by... I can't think of the name
of the company that made those pads and strips.

Brady?

And Chart-Pack. But the really good ones were made by Bishop Graphics.
The Bishop people were real SOBs; their prices were outrageous and
they'd show up and tell you that your decals wouldn't be shipped
unless you ordered your blueprint supplies from them too.

Peple happily dumped them when CAD got affordable.

I've still got a drawer full of Bishop Graphics and
Chart-Pack stuff, with DIPs in 2x and 4x sizes. (I'm saving
'em for "collector's items". Now all I have to do is find
the right collector...)

In the Good Old Days, you'd make a scaled-up layout on
mylar, then take it to a professional photography place with
a "process camera": a huge bellows-type camera mounted on
rails, with a lens about 6 inches in diameter. Then for a
mere $50-100 they'd do a reduction to 1x that you could use
to expose your silk screens for production. High tech!

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v7.60
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
FREE Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator
Science with your sound card!

Every city had a few shops with cameras like that, but they mostly did
work for print shops, for newspapers and print flyers and such. They
couldn't do PCB artwork photography because they couldn't hold the
tolerances and didn't know the process tricks, like making ground
planes from padmasters. Here in the SF area, Lorry Ray was the best.
When I worked in New Orleans nobody was any good so we had to make our
own camera, which was literally two rooms with a lens in the wall
between them, big tracks for the art and the film.

The Big Easy: good food, good times, bad tolerances.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com