Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default BBC post Scottish Independence

"J.B.Treadstone" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:05:12 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Rod Speed
writes
Adrian wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

I'd suggest they join the Euro.

Since they intend to join the EU, they won't have any choice.

Wrong. They can stick with the pound if they want to, even if the remains
of Britain does not like that.

If they want to, they can also use cowrie shells - but they'll have no
control over interest rates and exchange rates.

The only question is what bridges the gap, since they can't go straight
from borrowing GBP to EUR, because "managing your own economy properly
for a few years" is one of the requirements for Euro admission.

There is no such requirement for a country that is already in the EU.

As a similar situation has not arisen previously, it appears that no one
can definitively say whether a non-UK Scotland will automatically still
be
in the EU.

Well as Scotland would be a completely independent
country, & no longer part of the UK which /is/ in the
EU, I would say that they would have to apply for entry.

Doesn't matter what you say on how it will be done.

UK entry terms, tariffs etc, were negotiated for the /entire/
UK, which included (at the time) the countries of England,
Wales, Northern Ireland & Scotland.

But Britain was not in the EU already.

As Scotland would be a separate country & NO longer
part of that group of UK countries, it seems to me that
re-negotiation for EU entry would be inevitable.

There is no reason why the EU can't say that since it had been
in the EU already, it couldn't just be a rubber stamp procedure.

And /because/ they are separate country, I would also think they would
have to have their /own/ offices & staff, diplomats & Euro MPs in
Brussels.

Sure, but that is a separate issue to whether they
have to go cap in hand to be part of the EU.

Many EU members have said "no/non/nee/nein/nej/nie/não" etc.
None have actually said "yes", and a few have indicated that they would
actually oppose an application for new membership (to discourage their
own
separatists).

Indeed, Spain being one of them (so I believe).

But don't get any say on what the EU as a whole does.