Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Shaving cream, old and new

In article , Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 9/16/2014 3:58 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Pretty much the same here though I use a wwII vintage instead of a Merkur.
used to get one shave per blade till I decided to remove from the razor,
wipe dry and to NOT reload till next time, doubt it costs more than a penny
a shave now days.

Yeah, I too discovered drying the blade makes a big difference in life.
I often skip a day or two between shaves, which clogs the mutli blades.
The Merkur has no such issues. Haven't kept track, but 100 blades at
about $12 lasts me around 2 years. Even now having to pay shipping to
Australia, a pack of blades is cheaper than a 4-pack of multi-blades!

My discovery is that it's necessary to hot-rinse the shaver and store
it edge-up to dry, to prevent both clogging and blunting due to
corrosion.

Joe Gwinn