Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Were there open bottom lanterns?

On 9/17/14, 3:06 AM, micky wrote:
Were there open bottom lanterns?

Some railroad lanterns were called bell bottoms. Others used a wire
framework below and were called open bottoms. It makes sense that a man
with a lantern would want to see where he was stepping.

Benjamin Franklin noted that English street lights began to get sooty
from the time they were lit. They were closed on top. He used a funnel
top to increase draft. He also enlarged the holes at the bottom.

I haven't found any examples, but in a sheltered location, I imagine an
open bottom would improve illumination of the ground and make
maintenance easier.