william kossack

Default larger burls and chunks?

yea, the sending a bill 'joke' was intended for my brother in boston who
upon receiving a 7 inch bowl
made from black walnut wanted to order a set of 6 more.

I've described the process needed to seal a log to people and their eyes
tend to glaze over.
If local I tell them they can also bag it in a plastic bag and get it to
me quick. I've carried some of the
sealer in the back of my truck ever since being given the russan olive.

wrote:

william kossack wrote:

I was thinking just that. I was also thinking of sending them a bill
for the wood and the work but
I like to keep the few good friends I have.

Sending a bill won't fly unless they are contracting with you to produce
a piece to spec. Don't do that, BTW, people don't know what they want
and can't describe it, they also change their minds. It just isn't
worth the frustration, we've had that discussion here before, I think
1/2 a year back was the most recent. OTOH, Telling them that you don't
have access to that neat wood that they want it made out of, but would
be happy to send one back if they send you two, should make a fast way
to tell who really wants something. Tell them it HAS to be uncracked on
the ends, fresh cut and sealed (tell them how). It'll give them a
better appreciation of what you have to do to make the bowls. People
who don't make them figure that it's asa easy as going to the store and
picking one off the shelf.