Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Eat mo' squirrel

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:29:47 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:51:18 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:50:22 -0500, Karl Townsend

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:56:35 -0400, Ed Huntress

wrote:

I had an agricultural tragedy this past weekend. I have a little Red

Haven Semi-dwarf peach tree that I've been nursing along for a few

years, and it just produced its first modest peach crop: 26 beautiful

and delicious little peaches.

I was getting ready to check them for ripeness on Saturday when I saw

that my 26 peaches had been reduced to 2. There were four or five fat

squirrels running around my yard with peaches in their mouths.

Count your blessings, at least you don't have deer troulbe

I have A LOT of venison recipies

Karl

Yes, this state has a deer population about as dense as our people

population, but they rarely get into my fenced back yard. A neighbor

down the street, though, watches them take down the apples from his

little tree every year.

My old boss at Wasino in NJ (now Amada Machine Tools, in the Chicago

'burbs) had $23,000 worth of landscaping done to his yard, and the

deer ate all of it within two months. g

--

Ed Huntress

We also have a lot more deer than we used to. Last week, the local nature center had a representative from the state dept of fish game and wildlife (otherwise known as the hunters resident lobby in Trenton) make a presentation to our city council advocating crossbow hunting in the park. An absolutely ludicrous idea considering that the park is surrounded by houses.

One thing that did come up in the ensuing discussion is that the state of NJ has lowered the distance between bow-hunter and "occupied dwelling" to 150 feet. I have pointed out to my councilman that it is approximately 150 feet from my front door to his...

It's hard to figure out what to do about it. Princeton Township, which
is pretty small, has 44 deer per square mile. 12 years ago they had
350 car/deer collisions per year.

In the intervening years they've allowed bow hunters, and they hire
some professional hunters, which has reduced the population. But now
it's sprung right back up again.

The problem is, as you suggest, that houses are too close together.
That doesn't bother the deer but it makes hunting nearly impossible in
the suburbs.

--
Ed Huntress