Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Do you personally use a plastic solderless breadboard?

On 9/15/2014 8:20 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:58:13 +0000 (UTC), Don Kuenz
wrote:

That was my approach until I read _Troubleshooting Analog Circuits_ by
Pease. For solderless breadbroads Pease recommends perfboard and
Digikey A208 and A209.

Are you sure you want to follow Bob Pease's example?
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/bob-pease-breadboard.htm

Perf board is way too slow, I find--it takes at least twice as long as
dead-bug when both methods apply. All that cutting and stripping of
wires takes ages, and wire-wrap wire is too easy to nick.

Also the thickness of the board takes up vertical space that's very
useful for making connections. With dead bug, you just use clipped-off
component leads for hookup wire, and you can easily get three vertical
layers of connections without shorts.

One layer is pins bent directly down to the package (e.g. shorting pins
2 and 6 of an op amp follower), the next is where the leads neck down,
and the top one arches over that one. You can make the layout pretty
tight if you use the bodies of resistors and capacitors to force the
wires apart.

So I use perf board only rarely. When I do, it's Vector 8007
(pad-per-via plus ground plane).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--