Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default Metalworking Down Under, 2

On 9/16/2014 10:04 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Congrats, I think. Do you have a shower at work? I'd think a
rendering plant could be a bit ripe. You described getting into that
one screw machine and my stomach flipped a bit thinking about it.

Well we had that screw pulled and rebuilt properly, it should run for a
few years trouble free. Have been ankle deep in tallow, and am making a
habit of applying skin protector couple times a day. No showers, but we
generally don't get -that- dirty very often. The guys that run the
rendering plant however...
But I come home, head straight to the bathroom, strip and shower. My
clothes go in a storage tub that has several scented car thingies. Only
after I'm clean and in civvies will my wife get close. And that's in
winter... I have a less than great sense of smell, lucky for me, but
she's very sensitive to odors. But boy, there's really not much in the
way of steady good paying work in town, so just thank my lucky stars I
got this job.

I paid $125 for the same setup (plus recip and circular saws) from
Ryobi, but gave $269 for the Makita impact driver, 2 3A LIon batts,
charger and case. The little 1/4" hex drive Makita is powerful enough
to take the lugnuts off my truck, though.

Hitachi and Makita are big here, and DeWalt is considered very good. But
the new Milwuakee brushless tech is a step above. My first and last
experience with battery drills and such was one of the first drills
Sears sold. Drill half a dozen 1/4" holess, then wait an hour or two for
the battery to recharge. Maybe not quite that bad, but really useful for
only a few holes.

10A 220V, right?

Yeah, everything's 220 and up. Most hardwired motors are 415. I don't
mess with that stuff!

Best of luck with that. The shipping fees to and from Oz are beyond
ghastly, as I'm sure you already know. It can easily triple the price
of small items.

Yeah, had to move here, was costing too much to ship Christmas
presents... lol. Finding local sources is an ongoing effort.
We're coming back to visit next May. Going to come over light as we can,
and head back at max weight on the luggage. I'll have some stuff from
MSC waiting for me at my folks to take back. And they're shipping a Care
Package every few months.

Hoboy! Start calling your boss Oz or Wizard, wot?

Don't think so... he's a great guy, but don't have a handle on his sense
of humor yet...

Jon