Lyn J. Mangiameli

Default Chucks

Wow, that amazes me. I like Vicmark Chucks but they offer the smallest
choice of jaw sets compared to the Oneway Stronghold, Teknatool
Nova/Supernova/Titan, and Axminster Precision series chucks. Axminster
in particular has almost every jaw combination available, including some
no other manufacturer offers, with Teknatool a close second and Oneway
more recently being in the same category.

Now everyone may have different needs and find a particular chuck
manufacturer to have the best selection of chucks for their specific
needs, but in terms of shear range of jaw sets, Vicmark actually trails
the pack. If it appears otherwise, one needs to expand their search of
what is actually available. In the case of Axminster, look to the CS
catalog or to Axminsters' own site. For Oneway, go to the Oneway site.
For Teknatool, go to the Teknatool site.

I would also note that Teknatool in particular offers the advantage that
all jaw sets that will fit on their Nova/Supernova series will also
fit on their Titan (as well as a new series of very large jaw sets that
are exclusive to the Titan). Several of the jaw sets that fit on their
Nova/Supernova series can also be fitted to their very small "Compac"
chuck (currently out of production, though it will likely return). Thus
you can purchase jaw sets for a moderately sized Nova or Supernova and
know that you will likely be able to use them if you move to larger or
smaller chucks from Teknatool. This is unlike the other manufacturers
where for the most part you must by different jaws sets for their
different size chucks (Vicmark 3.5 not interchangable with Vicmark 5;
Oneway/Talon not interchangable with Oneway Stronghold, etc.)

Lyn

Maxprop wrote:

Having researched the more common chucks, I've arrived at the conclusion
that Vicmarc offers the best selection of jaw options. The 3.5" seems a
reasonable buy in terms of price and features. The competition was Oneway,
Axminster, and Nova.

Any comments?

Max