Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Do you personally use a plastic solderless breadboard?

In article , Don Kuenz
wrote:

Do you personally use a plastic solderless breadboard for your
prototypes?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=...ess+breadboard

If not, what do you use for your prototypes?

Depends on the nature of the project. For some things, these are fine -
if you don't loan them out to idiots and are not one yourself. I used to
maintain a labful of them, and we had to treat them as largely
disposable due to idiocy making them disfunctional after a relatively
short time. My personal one, bought new, has held up much longer.

Many other options for things where the stray capacitance of these is a
problem have been discussed in the group in the past. Those are
generally of either the "build up sections of insulator and copper on
top of a copper-clad board" or "cut islands into a copper-clad board"
flavor. When Mr. Larkin is diverted from politics long enough to post
about electronics he often has links to pictures of this sort of thing.

Perfboard with or without little copper rings is another option for some
types of work, and you can sometimes even make the little copper rings
work with 3-terminal surface mount devices, since through-hole devices
are becoming scarcer.

Some types of things you simply have to spin a board to prototype
effectively, especially with the rise of surface-mount and the shrinkage
of pin-pitch.