Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Fence Gate

On 9/15/2014 11:29 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
news
This one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-No-...racket-Kit-261
4/100020199

And this is an excellent HD latch

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Del...8116/202042257

Yes, I have installed probably 8~10 of these. The instructions are
less that stellar and sometimes the 2x4's are a tight fit at the
hinges but once assembled and installed I have never seen one of these
gates sag again.

That was the one. I'll just have to be careful assembling it.

Do you recommend replacing the screws like many of the others did?

Puckdropper

Your 2x4 may be too wide to fit between the bracket and the hinge.
Simply plane off some of the 2x4 to fit.

Either predrill for the screws and or use a better grade. IIRC I always
used long washer head pocket hole screws, coarse thread. I was always
trying to use square drive to guard against stripping the heads.

AND one more thing, if you go with the latch that I mentioned above keep
in mind that if gits between the end/side of the gate and the post.
Don't fit the gate to fit too snugly to the latch post.