Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shaving cream, old and new

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:50:56 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/15/2014 1:03 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I buy a pack of 5-10 double or triple bladed disposable razors from
the 99 cent store for a buck. I get about 2 weeks use out of most of
those individual razors, then I toss it in the can and get another one
out of the package.

I don't like the chintzy handles/lack of heft and none of the
disposables I've tried have lasted more than a couple or three
uses...then again, as noted above, the beard isn't nearly as tough as it
once't wuz, either, so maybe it would be different now.

But, if I'm going to shave, I'm going to like to handle the implement
and the disposals just aren't something I like to use. Double-edge
Wilkinsons are only about 25-30 cents each and they will last at least a
week to ten days, anyway. There's a no-name at the Dollar General
that's half that and they're not up to Wilkinson in initial sharpness,
but they stay usable for a week but neither is much of an
outlay--nothing like even the old 2-blade Schick cartridge that went of
of production and order of magnitude difference from most of what is
common now...

Just remember when you finish using one..flip the water out of it well
and then lay it on its back so the sharp edges are UP. Water will
slowly corrode the edges if its laid cutting edge down.

The ones I like have black handles and green inserts. The first dozen
packages of 5 I bought lasted me over 2 yrs. Get about 15 shaves out
of each and I only shave 3 times a week..on the road most of the time.
Id leave em on the rack in the shower and they would last damned near
a month each. The next 2 packages were not nearly as sharp nor lasted
as long. The last 3 have done pretty good.

99c store.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke