Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Trip lever bathtub drain screws are corroded and stuck

On Monday, September 15, 2014 12:20:13 PM UTC-4, philo* wrote:
On 09/15/2014 09:23 AM, nestork wrote:

No, I wouldn't try to drill out those screw heads.

Those screws are SUPPOSED to be brass or stainless steel, and if they're

badly corroded someone has replaced them with ordinary steel screws,

which is why they're stuck.

snip

Yes. Because they are rusted I assumed they are soft steel and it will

be child's play to drill them out.

I suppose with acid , penetrating oil or heating them with a torch they

/might/ come out with a vice grip but more than likely they'll just

break off... necessitating a drill-out anyway.

In any case, trying to drill them out seems like an easier approach to me,
than to start by cutting apart the cover plate with a dremel tool.