AHilton

Default larger burls and chunks?

The only answer I have for you will still require a chainsaw. Find a local
tree trimmer and have them (ASK them as they may already have other revenue
producing avenues available to them) send some wood your way. You need to
make it really easy for them though. They are usually really busy and
mostly just have time to dump and run. IF you can get lucky, you'll find
one that'll just unload a few good pieces a week. Most that I know wants to
dump truck loads all at once.

You'll still need to have a saw to cut it into blanks unless you would like
to get into turning large endgrain pieces.

As to nice burls and such pieces of wood ... well ... I just go out and cut
those myself. Not an option for you, I guess.

Good luck,

- Andrew

"william kossack" wrote in message
Where does everyone find these nice large pieces of wood to put on your
lathe? In Denver, it seems we are limited to what little woodcraft or
rocklers has on hand. All of these are generally 6x6x3 or maybe if lucky
8x8x3.

I've done a few of these and now I'm ready to move on. However, short of
getting a chainsaw and finding a scrape pile or visiting a neighbors
yard when they are away on holiday, there is little to be had that is
any good (unless you want cottonwood).

Do you find stuff on ebay? or are there suppliers that have larger than
normal chunks for turning?