Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shaving cream, old and new

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:42:13 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

On 09/14/2014 6:57 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
I had been shaving using a Schick "Quattro" razor (suggested by
Iggy)
with Gillette "Edge" shaving cream.

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Schick quit making refill cartridges for the variety (forget the
advertising name for it) some time ago and the ridiculously
expensive
and bulky alternatives now available were totally unpalatable to
me so
I've reverted to the single blade double-edge safety razor of yore
(not
_quite_ back to the straight razor started with ). With it and
Wilkinson blade (metal) with either Barbasol or Noxema aerosol
foam it's
as good as the multi-edge as far as I can tell (or at least care
about)...

I used to use the Barbasol as well. I should try it again.

I do think that the two close-spaced blades razors do work better
than
the single-blade razors (Trac 2 being the prototype), but I would
hazard that the difference between four close blades and five close
blades is hard to discern. Maybe the three-blade is noticeably
better
than two-blade, but I wonder if the difference is worthwhile.

Maybe I'll try the Wilkinson razor, if the experiment isn't too
expensive.

Joe Gwinn

FWIW, I gave up on Edge a couple of decades ago It's nice and
smooth,
but it really jams up a 2+ blade razor in a hurry, and the blades
don't get close enough for a good shave after that.

I'm currently using a cheap, two-blade Gilette "Good News" razor,
with
Barbasol. I also have a 30-year-old bar of Williams soap that gets
used when I'm out of Barasol. And I have two straight razors, which
haven't used since I had a beard, 20 years ago.

I've tried two, three, four, and five-blade razors. The more blades
they have, the more I like them, even though the four- and
five-blade
types drag a bit. But they're too damned expensive to make any
sense.

--
Ed Huntress

In one chemistry class the prof told us that bar soap works as well as
expensive shaving soap. I tried it, and he was right. Now when the
shower soap gets thin and breaks I toss the pieces into the shaving
mug.
-jsw