Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shaving cream, old and new

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 19:57:00 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

I had been shaving using a Schick "Quattro" razor (suggested by Iggy)
with Gillette "Edge" shaving cream.

While this used to work, more recently I noticed that my shaves were
not as close as they had been. I had the impression that the blade was
skating along the hair without biting at first. Getting a new blade
didn't help. Nor did using a Gillette Trac 2 razor.

Then it hit me that the Edge is very slippery, maybe too slippery.
There has to be an optimum.

Now, shaving cream isn't exactly a new technology. In the mid 1980s I
had flirted with using old-time mug-and-brush shaving cream, and still
had a bar of mug soap from 1986, so I tried it, generating the lather
by rubbing the wetted bar in my hands, and applying the lather to may
face. No mug or brush needed.

This worked very well, and now is my new standard.

The mug shaving soap is still made. My wife found it in the local
grocery store. Probably cost all of $4.00.

.http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Mug-Shaving-Soap-1-75/dp/B00008X5CH

Brand is Williams, and the product has been in continuous production
since 1840. http://www.williamsmugsoap.com

The steel content is all those razor blades.

That reminds me to toss my straight razor into my BOB...

--
Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously.
-- anon