Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default Fence Gate

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

My aunt has a wooden gate on a wooden fence about 4-5' wide. It's
dragging on the ground and the pickets are coming off. I can cut off
a couple of inches from the pickets so it won't drag any longer, but
I'd like to make sure the gate will stay in good condition.

As Lew suggested, make sure the post the gate is mounted
to is solid. In my experience, most gates that drag do
so because the post is leaning - it doesn't take much
tilt in the post to drop the far end of the gate an inch.

Personally I prefer gates that are framed with a Z to
using a wire & turnbuckle for the diagonal (a wood
diagonal won't stretch), but that's more asthetics than
a functional difference.

John