Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default wet concrete garage floor problem

On Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:14:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I live in a house built in 1951 and concrete drive and garage floor are not

in great condition and should be replaced. May be a couple of years before I

get that done however. For now I would like to do a fix on the concrete in

the garage.

Not sure why, but much of the time the concrete is damp and some of the

time there is standing water, mostly on the north side. The garage is

attached to the house, but is couple feet lower. The garage concrete sits

well above grade and no problems with gutters, and no leaks in roof. I

guess the water just wicks up?

Is there some product I could use to seal this old concrete and stop this

problem?

The floor was also painted at some point, but 90% of the paint is gone on

the north side, which is where the problem is. There are however small

patches of paint here and there.

Looking for a fix that can last a couple of years at least.

Without determining the source of the water and addressing that, no
solution is possible. Also, if the concrete garage floor is in such bad
shape that it should be replaced, it's hard to contemplate a solution
worth pursuing that's going to be worth it. If it needs to be replaced,
what's the point in say painting it? And any prep work to get it to the
state where it could be flat, ready to be painted, isn't likely to be
worth it if it still needs to be replaced in a few years.

But first step in any of that is determining what the water problem is.
IDT anyone here can do that withoug even seeing it.