Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Fence Gate

On 9/13/2014 7:09 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
My aunt has a wooden gate on a wooden fence about 4-5' wide. It's dragging
on the ground and the pickets are coming off. I can cut off a couple of
inches from the pickets so it won't drag any longer, but I'd like to make
sure the gate will stay in good condition.

I'm not impressed with the way the gate was built, it looks almost as if
they cut the fence, added a diagonal brace and hinges. (No pictures, the
gate and I are in two different states.)

If I rebuild the gate, how should I go about it? I've found only a little
bit on the Internet about building a wood gate.

Puckdropper

HD sells a "gate kit". It consists of 4 corner angle brackets and two
of them have hinges. You build a 2x4 frame around the brackets and then
attach the pickets to the assembly. These simply do not sag.