Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Plumbing Question

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:36:32 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

Any chance the problem is something entirely different and the swapping parts was useless? Got my water bill today and it was way down from the last one (we are billed every two months). I'm not sure when this running water thing started .. I only noticed it yesterday but it could have been going on and I didn't hear it.

Despite my flippant answer a minute ago, there is something important I
should tell you.

If the flapper is what he replaced (it's shaped like a small apple but
made of black rubber or neoprene, on a black flat thing with two holes
at the edge, that act as pivots. If thats what he replaced, try taking
a stick and pushing the flapper into its hole. Don't push very very
hard. It's rubber and you could conceivably rip it. But you can push
firmly.

And that might stop it from running.

BTW, if the flapper is leaking, you should be able to see waves in
toilet bowl. If not waves, at least it's not perfectly flat like ti
should be within ten (20?) minutes of bieng flushed.

It coudl take months before the flapper seats itself correctly right
away.

(I"ll admit I never checked for imperfections in the seat, but it had
worked fine until shortly before I replaced the flapper, and I stil
don't think that scratches or bumps were the problem. But I will check
some day.)

I have three matching Elger toilets. I was going to be Mr. Homemaker
when I bought the house 30 years ago so I bought 3 "1000 flushes" A
week or so after putting them in, there were black clouds in the water
and the flappers were all deteriorating. The house was 4 years old.
I was annoyed.

I removed the 1000 and bought new flappers at the hardware store** and
everything was fine for a few years. When I needed another flapper, I
bought the "practically universal" flapper and it leaked, so I went back
to the same hardware store and bought the same thing I bought the first
time. Everything was fine. But the next time I needed a flapper,
the hardware store had been run out of business by the big box stores.

But I had the brand and model number, and my friend got a catalog for a
wholesale maintenance supply company. She wrote me a letter saying I
worked for them, and I bought a lot of good things cheaply. Plus they
had the model flapper I needed. No one else had it. No internet yet.
I bought 2 dozen.

I used one and everything was perfect. Then the next time I needed one.
the toilet ran a little. I think it finally stopped running when the
water level above it was high enough, or I would have replaced it again.
Nothing looked strange about the flapper.

I would take a stick and force the flappe into its hole and that also
stopped it. It took months before it worked normall, and it's been
working normally for at least 5 years, as much as 10. .

**