Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

Default A/C problem

On 09/13/2014 10:15 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 09/12/2014 06:43 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

I guess the confusing part is that every thermostat I've owned, the only
time there was a delay in turning on the compressor is if the compressor
had shut off within the last 5 or 10 mins. Then it delays to give the
system pressure time to equalize. Otherwise, whether you go from off, or
heat or just lower the thermostat, the compressor starts up right away.

I now have an electronic thermostat (which enforces the delay), powered
by the indoor unit. When I open the cover to clean the filter, the 24VAC
is cut off. No matter how long it takes to clean the filter, there will
be a A/C start up delay.

BTW, It's actually cooler outside right now (66F). I have the A/C off
and back door open. That's unusual for summer in east Texas (where
September IS a summer month).

Great, isn't it? I'm in Austin, and I'm blowing outside air through the
house for the first time in months.