Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Using an all-in-one computah as a TV

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:19:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

There must be something you can do with velcro and cable ties. That
and some 555s and you can rule the world.

This looks to be a job for Unistrut, scrap metal, 2x4 lumber, and duct
tape. More realistically, I'll see if the rear kickstand can be
removed and replaced with something that more closely resembles an LCD
monitor mounting stand. I'll probably be able to adapt a VESA stand
to the unique HP kickstand mounting pattern.

I just noticed another mechanical problem with the Pavilion 20-F323.
HP put the carrying handle on the bottom instead of the top.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/88/81/82/61/0088818261657_500X500.jpg
The silver bar on the bottom would make a perfect carrying handle if
HP had located it on the top of the display, instead of the bottom.

There's also another odd problem because of the touch screen. It has
an extra 0.75 inch wide black strip around the entire display area.
That's the black area around the blue screen in the photo above. It's
necessary because finger swipes must start from outside the display
area. Starting a finger swipe on the bezel does not work. There are
several irritating side effects.
1. The monitor needed to grow 1.5" larger in both height and width to
accomdate the added finger swipe takeoff area.
2. It is not practical to stack such monitors because of the extra
large and useless black area.
3. I can't hang Post It notes around the edge of the display because
it triggers the touch screen effects.
4. When used as a TV, the picture looks tiny when letterboxing adds
to the black border.
5. The shiny black area and glossy screen is perfect for enhancing
glare from inside lighting.

Another interesting feature is the on/off push button. It's very much
the defacto standard size button found on most HP desktops and
monitors. Most of these have a rather dim blue-white LED designed to
not get in your face when illuminated. The Pavilion 20-F323 has the
button located on a recessed panel on the left size of the machine. It
is not visible to the user, which is good because it is now quite
bright. In a darkened room, as is common when watching TV, it is
bright enough to read by. Granted, it's not pointed in my face, but I
don't really need another room light. Of course, all the labels are
in dark grey print on black, making them impossible to read in dim
room light.

Yet another curiosity is the built in camera. With the computer
tilted back on its kickstand in somewhat tilted back operating
position, the elevation of the camera is pre-aimed to point to where
the users face would normally be expected to appear. However, when
operated vertically, as I plan to do, it shows from my neck down to my
waist, without any means of adjustment.

I'm beginning to suspect that this thing is cursed in addition to
being badly designed for TV ergonomics.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558