View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Plumbing Question

On Friday, September 12, 2014 6:36:32 PM UTC-4, Dottie wrote:
I have a two year old American Standard commode. The plumber came out last year and did something in the other bathroom (same commode in there) and he told me to order a part from the American Standard company because I would eventually need it and it was free. I placed the order and they sent it. It was not until this week that I needed to use it. I noticed the toilet was making a strange "running water" sound -- only lasts a few seconds .... and I figured out that must be the part he was talking about. My neighbor came over and took the old part off and put the new one one. He assured me it was "easy" ... the part was Cadet Flush right flapper assembly.

After he had been gone about an hour -- the noise started up again. It has run extra water in there three times -- the water only runs for a few seconds.

Does anyone know why this would happen. I hesitate to call the plumber .... I did call before I went to my neighbor. The plumber who had been here and told me to order the part said he would gladly come by and do it at no charge but the woman who makes appointments said she doubted he could do that and it would costs me $100 for house call.

Any chance the problem is something entirely different and the swapping parts was useless? Got my water bill today and it was way down from the last one (we are billed every two months). I'm not sure when this running water thing started .. I only noticed it yesterday but it could have been going on and I didn't hear it.

I printed out the suggestions and I will try them. I already flushed the water out and ran my finger around the place where the new part meets - and it felt o.k. Did not feel any lumps or scratches. I'll try turning it off and seeing if the water level changes.