Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default center punch for psi testing

wrote in message
I have some material I need to test for psi. I need to impact it in a
way consistently to show difference between materials resistance to
psi pressure. The manufacturer I work with demonstrates this with a
center hole punch. But I'm looking for something a little larger in
impact area and that has some way to set the psi impact. Any ideas?

http://www.ptc1.com/steel_hardness_316.htm

http://www.instron.us/wa/application...s/brinell.aspx

I use a second-hand Scleroscope for steel and a durometer for soft
material.
http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/hardness/scleroscope.htm

The Scleroscope reads correctly only on smooth flat surfaces of
relatively heavy objects.
-jsw