Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing Question

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 01:54:41 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Dottie;3283024 Wrote:
I have a two year old American Standard commode. The plumber came out
last year and did something in the other bathroom (same commode in
there) and he told me to order a part from the American Standard
company because I would eventually need it and it was free. I placed
the order and they sent it.. It was not until this week that I needed
to use it. I noticed the toilet was making a strange "running water"
sound -- only lasts a few seconds .... and I figured out that must be
the part he was talking about. My neighbor came over and took the old
part off and put the new one one. He assured me it was "easy" ... the
part was Cadet Flush right flapper assembly.

After he had been gone about an hour -- the noise started up again. It
has run extra water in there three times -- the water only runs for a
few seconds.

Does anyone know why this would happen. I hesitate to call the plumber
... I did call before I went to my neighbor. The plumber who had been
here and told me to order the part said he would gladly come by and do
it at no charge but the woman who makes appointments said she doubted
he could do that and it would costs me $100 for house call.

Any chance the problem is something entirely different and the swapping
parts was useless? Got my water bill today and it was way down from the
last one (we are billed every two months). I'm not sure when this
running water thing started .. I only noticed it yesterday but it could
have been going on and I didn't hear it.

Dottie:

A toilet has two valves; one valve lets the water in to the toilet tank,
and the other valve lets the water out of the toilet tank into the
toilet bowl to cause the bowl to "flush".

What's happening in your case is that water is leaking out of the toilet
tank at a slow rate. Eventually, once the water level in the toilet
tank reaches a certain level, the valve that lets water into the toilet
tank swings into action and refills the tank with water. That's why the
toilet only runs for a few seconds rather than the longer time it would
tank to fill an empty tank.

Normally, the cause of this water leakage out of the toilet tank is a
leaking flapper valve, so the plumber was right to tell you to get a new
one as long as you could get them free.

But, from what you're saying, replacing the flapper valve hasn't stopped
the leakage of water out of the toilet tank. In that case, the "seat"
against which that flapper sits may have a nick in it which allows water
to leak even with a new flapper.

I'd ask your neighbor to come down and take another look. Tell him that
replacing the flapper hasn't stopped the problem, and he'll look at the
seat on the flapper valve to see if it's damaged. You can do that
yourself if you want. Just raise the flapper and run your finger over
the surface the flapper rests on to see if it's smooth. If it's smooth,
there must be some other explanation, but if you can feel a nick or
scratch on that seat, then that's the cause of the problem.

More likely a "nub" than a "nick" I've found deposits are much more
common than damage.