View Single Post
  #134   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Mormons can be very nice people, like Stormin', for instance.
There are good people in every country, race and religion.

When my father left Ukraine at the beginning of WWII he was only about 16 years old. They were fairly well to do in a country where no one had much of anything, but they left everything and set out across Europe to get, hopefully to neutral Switzerland. They didn't want to live under a Communist Russian thumb, but even that was better than being exterminated as an inferior race by the Germans. My father remembers asking his father how they were going to fare, since they wouldn't know anyone where they were going, and no one would know them.

My dad's dad just said "There are good people everywhere.", and with a hope, a prayer, and that faith that there would be good people along the way that would help them, they set out for Switzerland.

By the end of the war, they had made it as far as a refugee camp in Austria, where my dad and a few other guys made soap for the whole camp. The Allies recognized the need for cleanliness in such crowded conditions, so my dad got the undesireable job of making soap. It was an undesireable job because he had to use lye to make the soap, and lye is a very harsh chemical to work with, but the working conditions were good, and he knew he had to do something to earn his keep.

But, they eventually made it across the ocean to Canada as Canadian immigrants, and it was because there are good people everywhere on this Earth that were willing to help others.

Stormin is just one of them, just like many of the other people in here and everywhere.

Last edited by nestork : September 13th 14 at 01:16 AM